Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On Parenting Techniques

I found this quote last night on a blog I just discovered, written by an LDS Waldorf home-schooling mom.

"Don't become a technique collector... BE A DOER. Remember that there is no magic bullet for parenting save one... consistency."

I certainly have the tendency to read parenting books, collect techniques, discuss them, and then discard them as I holler at my kids to leave me alone while I read my next parenting book.

What can you do more consistently this week? This month? At this age in your children's lives?

I can more consistently wake up and spend time with my children in the morning. What are you going to do?

2 comments:

  1. And prayer. I still like seeing what's out there and what others have done, but more than anything I think it helps to take it before the Lord and see if it will work for your kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I'm a few days late, but this:

    "I certainly have the tendency to read parenting books, collect techniques, discuss them, and then discard them as I holler at my kids to leave me alone while I read my next parenting book."

    has been running through my head ever since I read it. Guilty as charged.

    Thanks for the reality check! I'm a big reader and thrive in educating myself. But. Not interested in intellectualizing away my childrens' childhoods.

    ReplyDelete