Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be?

I'm trying to make my way through the entire Conference edition of my Liahona (I read it in French, so that I get the spiritual uplift and the language skills reinforcement).

In reading the Sunday Afternoon session this past week I came across this talk, which has some solid family advice.

"Many of us create to do lists to remind us of things we want to accomplish. But people rarely have to be lists. Why? To do’s are activities or events that can be checked off the list when done. To be, however, is never done. You can’t earn checkmarks with to be’s. I can take my wife out for a lovely evening this Friday, which is a to do. But being a good husband is not an event; it needs to be part of my nature—my character, or who I am.

Or as a parent, when can I check a child off my list as done? We are never done being good parents. And to be good parents, one of the most important things we can teach our children is how to be more like the Savior."

Some of my thoughts from reading this talk:
What are the qualities that, if understood by my kids, would correct their behavior?
 

Christian virtues are a gift from God, including love. They can't be acquired on our own.
 

Preaching is more effective than the sword; teaching is more effective than punishment.

Any thoughts to share? I'd love to hear your ideas on how to balance teaching our children to be good and correcting bad behavior.

In other news, we've started packing to move into our new place! I'm still saddened that we'll be leaving our ward, but oh so excited to be walking distance to a neighborhood playground and in a first floor apartment with real windows and sunlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment